Looking for a great part time job?
About us –
Wolfberry Hawthorn Farm is just under two acres in north east Durham county, just outside city limits. We grow produce (specializing in unusual and less common varieties), microgreens, cut flowers, and plants (vegetable starts, culinary and medicinal herbs, and native plants). We sell our products at several local farmers markets (South Durham Farmers market, seasonal Tuesday chapel hill market and the new in 2023 the seasonal midtown market in Raleigh), to local chefs and at annual on farm plant sales.
The farm is Certified Naturally Grown so there is a focus on using organic seeds and fertilizers. We try to farm in the most sustainable and environmentally friendly ways possible. This means using plant based plastic containers for our microgreens, creating habitat for wildlife and beneficial insects, using only veganic inputs (plant based fertilizers instead of manure, blood meal, feather meal etc), and recycling/reusing and upcycling as much as possible. We work to build our soil which grows healthier plants and improves the nutritional value and taste.
Job description –
We are adding another Saturday farmers market this season and are looking for someone who can run the booth at one of the markets each Saturday morning. The job also can include several hours a week working at the farm as well.
Running a farmers market booth involves getting to the farm at 6 am on market day (must have a valid drivers license), load up the market equipment, produce, plants and flowers, drive to the market location, set up the tent, tables and products. Engage with customers and complete sales transactions. Then breaking down at the end of market and bringing left over products and market equipment back to farm. With the on farm work, you will be involved in most aspects of production, including seed starting, bed preparation, spreading compost, planting, weeding, potting up nursery seedlings, plant propagation, cleaning/washing/sterilizing microgreens trays, irrigation, crop removal, trellising, harvesting vegetables, flowers and microgreens, washing and packing produce, flowers and microgreens.
The ideal candidate –
· Good Customer service skills are important.
· Must have a willingness to learn and try new types of foods. It’s a great help in sales if you’ve tried the produce!
· Honesty and a friendly attitude even if it’s a rainy day at market!
· Must have a valid drivers license (having an SUV, hatchback, minivan or truck is ideal, as farm vehicles are limited and not always available)
· Must be able to lift 30-40 pounds
· Farming experience is not necessary but a willingness and eagerness to learn about sustainable farming is important
· Must be comfortable using technology such as tablets and smart phones
· Must be reliable, punctual and able to work independently.
· Must be able to work outside in a variety of weather conditions and to be able to stand for several hours while at the market.
We pay an hourly wage starting at $16/hr. You will also be welcome to take home as produce and microgreens for you and your household/family. You'll have the opportunity to learn about small scale urban/suburban sustainable farming practices first hand.
To apply, please email the following to email@example.com :
Join the herd!
Welcome! sign up for our email mailing list to get information on events and new products and services.